The lone voice of horticultural reason
Day after tomorrow, the world!
RENEGADE GARDENER is the Web’s best site for gardeners seeking truth, hope, and one lousy sign that someone unfettered by industry prejudice is helping you become a better gardener.
Originally designed to help gardeners banished to the forgotten USDA Zones 2-4, bold content has made it one of the Web’s most-linked gardening sites. Gardening is gardening, design is design, dumb is dumb, and truth conquers all!
Don’s Debut Novel Available Now on Amazon
Release the pigeons! Every successful nonfiction writer dreams of writing a novel. Hell, every unsuccessful nonfiction writer dreams of writing a novel. I began chasing this dream in 2018, and son of a gun, it seems I’ve caught it by the tail.
My debut novel, “Welcome to Kamini” was picked up by the wonderful publisher Guernica World Editions and is now up on Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk for Pre-Order. By pre-ordering, you help the publisher gauge how many to print, plus you get a first edition copy. (Kindle version will be available with its release later this summer.)
Switching seamlessly to self-serving mode, if you like the novel, and tell a few friends, it might lead to additional print runs, eventually putting a few bucks in the ‘ol Renegade’s pocket. (I spent 18 months writing it, getting an agent and then a publisher. I’d be thrilled to recoup .002 cents per hour.)
Head over to my new website, donengebretson.com to read the brief synopsis, a few reviews and a direct link to Amazon for ordering. If you’re a fan of this page, I think you’ll enjoy “Welcome to Kamini.” Why wouldn’t you? It’s a wild, lightly humorous ride through the Ontario wilderness, filled with eccentric characters, danger, suspense, mysticism, romance and live bait.
The Books Are Back
Annuals for Minnesota and Wisconsin
Tree and Shrub Gardening for Minnesota and Wisconsin
Perennials for Minnesota and Wisconsin
Best Garden Plants for Minnesota and Wisconsin
Gardening Month by Month in Minnesota and Wisconsin
The Renegade Gardener is Don Engebretson, an award-winning Minnesota garden writer and designer.
The 10 Tenets of Renegade Gardening
- Gardening should be challenging, relaxing, and fun.
- Renegade Gardeners are cautious and wise when perusing the plethora of products and plants sold by the commercial gardening industry.
- Gardening involves commitment.
- Renegade Gardeners learn the Latin names of the plants they grow.
- Gardening is not always easy.
- Renegade Gardeners come to realize that lawns are essentially a dumb idea.
- Gardening and rock music do not mix.
- Renegade Gardeners buy first from local growers.
- There is nothing wrong with cutting down a tree on your property.
- Irreverence is essential.